Health Is Vital

Health is taken for granted, until you can't any more. In this blog I hope to put down on paper some of the articles I come across and want to remember, about health. I will be personalizing these articles to apply to me. I am diabetic, over weight, have high blood pressure and tinnitus, so these are the things you will find here. I will include nutrition, exercise, and holistic health, and many other ideas. I work in the health profession, particularly mental health, and have an interest in suicide prevention; so these topics will also be covered in this blog. Please, if you are suffering reach out. Our county health and crisis line is 1-855-278-4204.

Tuesday, September 15, 2026

Magazine Artivle Review: Find Freedom from Stress

 Find Freedom from Stress by Stacey Colino, Prevention Magazine, Prevention.com, December 2025, pp 64-75.

High stress reactivity is when you have been overstressed for too long.  It results in being too vigilent and too quick to react and reactions are too intense and prolonged.  Over time this can lead to a heightened fight or flight response.  Being on high alert can lead to relationship issues and snapping at others.  People with PTSD or early exposure to stress are at greater risk.  Unless you find a way to get to a normal baseline stress can become accumulative.  this can up your risk for many health issues: sleep disturbances, chronic pain issues, heart disease, diabetes and cancer and it can exacerbate asthma and arthritis.  It can lead to wear and tear on the body which can accelerate the aging process.  

Tools to bring stress reactivity down include a healthy diet, plenty of sleep and a social network of support.  Consistent aerobic exercise can bring stress levels down.  Slow breathing exercises can be of great benefit.  As can calming your mid through meditation.  Accepting that stress is inevitable can help you bounce back quicker.  Ruminating on a stressful event is not helpful.  Lastly the author suggests the Healthy Minds App developed by Richard J. Davidson can be helpful in building resilience and connectivity.

No comments:

Post a Comment