Health Is Vital

Health is taken for granted, until you can't any more. In this blog I hope to put down on paper some of the articles I come across and want to remember, about health. I will be personalizing these articles to apply to me. I am diabetic, over weight, have high blood pressure and tinnitus, so these are the things you will find here. I will include nutrition, exercise, and holistic health, and many other ideas. I work in the health profession, particularly mental health, and have an interest in suicide prevention; so these topics will also be covered in this blog. Please, if you are suffering reach out. Our county health and crisis line is 1-855-278-4204.

Saturday, February 27, 2016

**Diabetes and Stress

I picked up a Web MD magazine when I was in Walgreens, and found two articles on diabetes and stress.  The first, they studied people who were stressed and found their brain areas governing self control were turned down or turned off, so they ate more sweets and junk food.  The stressed the people by having them hold one hand in ice water for three minutes.  This is a known stress producing stimulus.  Then they presented them, as well as a control group, to a buffet with junk food.  MRI scans showed less activity in the self-control portion of the brain among those who were stressed compared to those not stressed.   Those who had the ice water bath were more likely to give into temptation as well.
The second article, written by Gina Shaw, tells that stress and diabetes and wreak havoc on your hormonal system.  Stress also makes one less likely to take care of their self.  Diabetes, for the most part, is a self-care illness.  You monitor you carbohydrate and calorie intake, you exercise or not.  It is all a person choice.  When there is lots of stress, it is less likely someone will take care of their self.
Stress relievers:  Breathe; deep breathing from your diaphragm will help send oxygen to your muscles and reduce stress, set yourself up for success.  Having healthy snacks available is good, but also a way to monitor your exercise and remind you to be active.  Then finally, having an understanding of your stress signals, so you know when to be on the alert and when to take action.
I have just gone through a period where by diabetes was not under control.  This was after I b urned myself.  It makes me wonder if the two things are related.  I had numbers over 300--a few not good outliers,  but have finally gotten my fasting blood sugar below 200, averaging about 175.  Some readings have been as low as 140, which is unheard of for me.  However, the doctor threatened me with insulin.  I don't want to go there so I have no choice but to watch my intake, and get plenty of exercise.

No comments:

Post a Comment