Health Is Vital

Health is taken for granted, until you can't any more. In this blog I hope to put down on paper some of the articles I come across and want to remember, about health. I will be personalizing these articles to apply to me. I am diabetic, over weight, have high blood pressure and tinnitus, so these are the things you will find here. I will include nutrition, exercise, and holistic health, and many other ideas. I work in the health profession, particularly mental health, and have an interest in suicide prevention; so these topics will also be covered in this blog. Please, if you are suffering reach out. Our county health and crisis line is 1-855-278-4204.

Saturday, August 6, 2016

Flossing?

OK, so the dentist lied to me?  When I was a child, and we did the dental course at Lincoln Elementary in fourth grade, the issue was to brush correctly, there was nothing said about flossing.  Then, flossing became the big thing, and continued so for the past 40 years or so.  And now today the paper, and Drudge (from Associated Press) say flossing has no proven benefits.  What are we torturing ourselves for if there are no proven benefits.  To be honest, I do see some benefit from flossing.  When there is something like popcorn or meat stuck between my teeth driving me crazy, flossing is the only think that can get that thing out.  It works better than a tooth pick.  It says the evidence of health benefits from flossing is unreliable at best.  The government has removed flossing from its dietary guidelines.  The Associate Press looked at 25 of the best studies and concluded :the evidence for flossing is” weak, very unreliable and of very low quality.”  The conclusion is there is no real evidence that flossing provides much health benefit, except that it can reduce gum inflammation which can lead to gum disease.  I am an as you need it flosser.  I do not floss every day.  
I guess floss is big business; about $2 billion annually.

No comments:

Post a Comment