Health Is Vital

Health is taken for granted, until you can't any more. In this blog I hope to put down on paper some of the articles I come across and want to remember, about health. I will be personalizing these articles to apply to me. I am diabetic, over weight, have high blood pressure and tinnitus, so these are the things you will find here. I will include nutrition, exercise, and holistic health, and many other ideas. I work in the health profession, particularly mental health, and have an interest in suicide prevention; so these topics will also be covered in this blog. Please, if you are suffering reach out. Our county health and crisis line is 1-855-278-4204.

Sunday, February 5, 2017

Living Well with Diabetes

Living Well with Diabetes, Krames fast Guides, Krames staywell 2000.
This pamphlet hits on the basic important health considerations for someone with diabetes.  As always, I like to add my personal observations.
Monitoring Blood Sugar: TO take control of your blood sugar, you have to know what is going on.  Daily monitoring with a monitor is important.  Also long range monitoring is important with the use of the A1C lab teat.
 
Treating Highs and Lows:  You have to monitor to know if you are having a high or low.  A little sugar will treat a low.  There are also glucose tablets.  I don't often have this problems.  Treating highs is more difficulty.  It could mean cutting back on carbohydrates, could mean increasing exercise, or lastly extra medication.
Taking Medication:  I take pills.  I have never had to take insulin which is usually injectable.
Staying Active:  Walking I have found is the best way to keep blood sugar low.  With walking good shoes are important.  Also drinking plenty of water is a must.

Healthy Eating:  It is important to eat carbohydrates, but in moderation.  Balance meals between 1/2 vegetables, 1/4 carb and 1/4 protein.  Serving size is important to watch.

Caring for feet with daily self foot exams and regular podiatry check ups.  Good foot ware is also important, and avoid going bare footed.


No comments:

Post a Comment