Health Is Vital

Health is taken for granted, until you can't any more. In this blog I hope to put down on paper some of the articles I come across and want to remember, about health. I will be personalizing these articles to apply to me. I am diabetic, over weight, have high blood pressure and tinnitus, so these are the things you will find here. I will include nutrition, exercise, and holistic health, and many other ideas. I work in the health profession, particularly mental health, and have an interest in suicide prevention; so these topics will also be covered in this blog. Please, if you are suffering reach out. Our county health and crisis line is 1-855-278-4204.

Monday, August 7, 2017

Diabetes: Lowering Your A1C

A1C is a blood test which can let you know how you are doing with regards to diabetes management.  Mine has been too high for some time, 10.2 first of 1026, then down to 8.9 and 8.5 but my last lab back up to 8.8.   have gone through several medication adjustments to try to get this under control, adding januvia and then later gong to extended release metformin.  These have done some good.  However I am looking at these points from Everyday health to bolster my results.  Anything over seven is considered too high.  Below 5.7 is considered normal.
1. Move more.  At least 30 minutes of exercise five days a week is needed.  However this does not have to be formal exercise.  Participating in a sport, walking, or other activity requiring movement will do the trick.
2. Eat a balanced diet with proper nutrition sizes.  Ideas include using a salad plate instead of a dinner plate, be mindful of portion sizes when eating fruit starchy foods and fats, avoid processed foods, and avoid sugary drinks.
3.  Stick to a schedule.  Skipping meals, and then overindulging, or going too long without eating between meals can lead to unhealthy drops and spikes in blood sugar.  I have heard small meals with regular snacks in between is best.
4. Follow you treatment plan.  Best to take medications when they should be taken.
5. Check your blood sugar levels regularly.  This is one I am not doing regularly.  Unless I am on the train, I usually don't check my level.  It is important to check so you can learn how you level responds to certain activities and foods.
Consultation with your doctor about your A!C levels is always a good idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment