Health Is Vital

Health is taken for granted, until you can't any more. In this blog I hope to put down on paper some of the articles I come across and want to remember, about health. I will be personalizing these articles to apply to me. I am diabetic, over weight, have high blood pressure and tinnitus, so these are the things you will find here. I will include nutrition, exercise, and holistic health, and many other ideas. I work in the health profession, particularly mental health, and have an interest in suicide prevention; so these topics will also be covered in this blog. Please, if you are suffering reach out. Our county health and crisis line is 1-855-278-4204.

Sunday, August 5, 2018

7 Tips to Help You Stick With Exercise When Managing Type 2 Diabetes

This   article is  taken from  Everydayhealth.  I explore each bullet and how I am personally doing.
Exercise helps with weight loss; and weight loss helps to reduce your A1C.  Exercise can be as simple as walking.
1. Start slowly:  I am a walker, but my walking is still slow.  This article suggests working p to 30 minutes of brisk walking daily.  I need to add the brisk part.
2. Choose an activity you like:  I don't mind walking, and this is what I usually do.  However I would like to add some basketball and other enjoyable activities.
3. Grab a Friend:  I have failed with this regard.  Most of my walking is as I commute or as I play Pokemon during lunch.  I have not been able to interest anyone in exercising with me in the evening, even for a walk.
4. Reward Yourself Along the Way:  I have failed in this regard.  My reward is to go out to eat which defeats the whole process in the end.  This article suggest rewarding yourself with music.  This may be a better way to motivate myself.
5. Formally schedule you workouts:  Again I am not good here.  Of course commuting exercise is at the same time everyday.  However other exercise usually depends on the weather.  If it is too hot, I choose to read a book instead.  I would be  good to schedule exercise with a partner.
6. Prep for your workouts:  Again I haven't done this.    I do not lay out clothes as I am wearing work clothes. 
7. Check your blood sugar before and after exercise:  I have never done this.  This article says it is a good idea as the numbers should provide motivation to continue exercising. 

No comments:

Post a Comment