Health Is Vital

Health is taken for granted, until you can't any more. In this blog I hope to put down on paper some of the articles I come across and want to remember, about health. I will be personalizing these articles to apply to me. I am diabetic, over weight, have high blood pressure and tinnitus, so these are the things you will find here. I will include nutrition, exercise, and holistic health, and many other ideas. I work in the health profession, particularly mental health, and have an interest in suicide prevention; so these topics will also be covered in this blog. Please, if you are suffering reach out. Our county health and crisis line is 1-855-278-4204.

Saturday, August 18, 2018

Eggs for Diabetics

I have been visiting the diabetic nurse lately.  She chided me on how many carbohydrates I put in my breakfast, and suggested an egg or two for protein.  It is so easy to get into the carb habit for breakfast--cake, breakfast roll or cereal with milk.  There are better choices.  I found an article about the benefits of eggs, "8 Egg-cellent facts about eggs."
1. Eggs can be hearth healthy.  The big issue has been egg yolks, which hide a lot of cholesterol.  However dietary cholesterol generally does not cross over, and egg yolks have healthy nutrients.  No cholesterol in egg whites.
2. Eggs are a weight-loss super food.  Eggs are high in protein and low in  calories.  Consequently they can curb hunger with just a few calories.  Plus you can add vegetables to a scrambled egg for more nutrients.
3. Eggs are nutrient-rich.  Consider the vitamins in an egg.  The are a good source of zinc and vitamin A.  For a vegetarian who eats eggs they provide vitamin B12.
4. Egg size and color come to the chicken.  In other words there are varieties, but no real different in the actual egg.  Color and size have to do with color and size of the chicken laying the egg.
5. Dyed Easter Eggs is an ancient tradition.  People have been dying eggs for centuries.  These eggs are part of Jewish and Easter traditions.  Dyed eggs are safe to eat if they have been refrigerated.
6. Egg substitutes are healthy too.  These are usually egg whites with added color.
7. Are raw eggs safe to eat?  The risk with raw eggs is the threat of Salmonella which is a food born illness.  There is no loss in nutrients in cooking an egg, so no health benefit in eating raw eggs.  If speed is a question throw the egg in a mug and microwave for a minute.
8. The healthiest way to eat eggs.  There is really no difference in the egg with the type of preparation, other than some methods add calories.  Boiling and poached eggs do not add calories.  Another suggestion is using spray oil which adds minimal calories.
My issue with eggs is the rush I have in the mornings.  Consequently I usually boil a few eggs and then keep them in the fridge.  However the idea of cooking an egg in the microwave I need to try.


No comments:

Post a Comment