Eat This, Not That!" definitely says bananas are good for you. Now as a diabetic, I know bananas have lots of carbohydrates, two servings worth in a medium size banana--or in other words half of your carb allowance for a meal. This article admits this, but focuses on the strengths of the banana:
1. Magnesium in bananas helps you become leaner and have more muscle mass.
2. Potassium in bananas helps your muscles recover faster from exercise.
3. Folate from bananas helps with mood control so you are likely to be happier.
4. Tryptophan from bananas helps with serotonin usage in the body. Serotonin is a natural antidepressant which also helps with anxiety, irritability, agitation, anger and aggression.
5. Tryptophan also help melatonin which is a natural sleep aid.
6. Bananas help fight bloating by supplying bloat-fighting bacteria in the stomach and also supply potassium which reduces fluid retention.
7. Because a banana has 12 mg of choline they help to fight fat and encourage flat burning.
8. Bananas can encourage sugar control. However they should be eaten with proteins and helathy fat to slow the absorption of the sugar from a banana into your blood stream.
9. By eating a banana for a snack between meals will result in less cravings.
10. Underripe bananas can make you feel fuller because they contain resistant starch. Because the banana is underripe it may be a bit bitter, but great to add to a smoothie.
11. Phytosterols in bananas can lower cholesterol.
12. Prebiotics in bananas act as good bacteria for easier digestion. Also the fructose molecules help with digestion.
13. High fiber in bananas helps you be more regular.
14. The prebiotic fructooligosaccharides (number 12) help with calcium absorption.
15. Bananas provide lots of energy with glucose.
16. Although they do not contain vitamin A they help with vitamin A absorption.
17. Delphinidin in bananas is an antioxidant that helps to fight cancer.
18. Bananas are low in sodium and high in potassium which lowers blood pressure.
19. Bananas contain iron which helps with blood.
20. Bananas can help with eye sight with antioxidants as well as vitamin A support and vitamin C.
21. Pectin in bananas is a natural way to detoxify. They can help clean many unwanted chemicals from our bodies.
I must admit, I do not care for bananas when they are underripe, but I do love bananas for the most part. I have been worried about eating them, but this article explains their helpful benefits.
Health Is Vital
Health is taken for granted, until you can't any more. In this blog I hope to put down on paper some of the articles I come across and want to remember, about health. I will be personalizing these articles to apply to me. I am diabetic, over weight, have high blood pressure and tinnitus, so these are the things you will find here. I will include nutrition, exercise, and holistic health, and many other ideas. I work in the health profession, particularly mental health, and have an interest in suicide prevention; so these topics will also be covered in this blog. Please, if you are suffering reach out. Our county health and crisis line is 1-855-278-4204.