Health Is Vital

Health is taken for granted, until you can't any more. In this blog I hope to put down on paper some of the articles I come across and want to remember, about health. I will be personalizing these articles to apply to me. I am diabetic, over weight, have high blood pressure and tinnitus, so these are the things you will find here. I will include nutrition, exercise, and holistic health, and many other ideas. I work in the health profession, particularly mental health, and have an interest in suicide prevention; so these topics will also be covered in this blog. Please, if you are suffering reach out. Our county health and crisis line is 1-855-278-4204.

Saturday, March 4, 2017

Documentary Review: Paper Tigers: Trauma

It been some time since I watched this, but I meant to write about it.  Paper Tigers is a movie about Lincoln High School in Walla Walla, Washington.  This is the school for those who are not making it in regular school, either due to legal or behavioral or emotional issues.
The basic philosophy of the film are that children have been subjected to complex trauma.  toxic stress or trauma can threaten brain development.  This can harm health, lead to erratic behavior.  The behavior is not the kid, but a symptom of what is going on in their life.  You have to unconditionally love them, and believe that their behavior might be out of their control.
Sant Clara County has used this movie as an introduction to their efforts to take on trauma and make a difference in the lives of others.  I must admit, as I watched I was amazed at some of the worker the teachers and counsellors were doing.  How could they stay focus and not become reactive to some of the stuff the kids were dong.

No comments:

Post a Comment