Health Is Vital

Health is taken for granted, until you can't any more. In this blog I hope to put down on paper some of the articles I come across and want to remember, about health. I will be personalizing these articles to apply to me. I am diabetic, over weight, have high blood pressure and tinnitus, so these are the things you will find here. I will include nutrition, exercise, and holistic health, and many other ideas. I work in the health profession, particularly mental health, and have an interest in suicide prevention; so these topics will also be covered in this blog. Please, if you are suffering reach out. Our county health and crisis line is 1-855-278-4204.

Saturday, September 9, 2017

Diabetes and Sick Days

Article appeared in WebMD Magazine, Winter 2015 and was distributed by Walgreens.  It was written by Sonya Collins.
There are things a diabetic must consider when sick.  This article answers five questions:
Do I keep taking my medicine?  The thought is I eat less when I am sick; but you also exercise less.  The best answer is to keep taking your medicine.
What should I eat?  You should try to eat normally, but if you can't you should try gelatin, soup and crackers and popsicles which my be easier to keep down.
What should I drink?  It is important to get plenty of liquid to avoid sugar spikes.  8 ounce calorie free beverage is recommended.  If you have difficulty keeping food down, you may want to add a drink with calories every other hour.  This would juice or soda.
Can I take cough or cold medicine?  Avoid medicines with sugar as much as possible.  Syrups often have sugar.  Even so, if you need a syrup to soothe your throat go ahead as there is not a significant amount of sugar.  You can also consult your doctor about medicines as some without sugar also raise blood sugar levels, i.e. aspirin and decongestants.
How often should I check by blood sugar?  You likely will not recognize sugar issues when you are sick as you already feel crappy.  Consequently you should check every two to four hours.  If your blood levels are normal after a couple days then you can go back to your regular routine.

No comments:

Post a Comment