Health Is Vital

Health is taken for granted, until you can't any more. In this blog I hope to put down on paper some of the articles I come across and want to remember, about health. I will be personalizing these articles to apply to me. I am diabetic, over weight, have high blood pressure and tinnitus, so these are the things you will find here. I will include nutrition, exercise, and holistic health, and many other ideas. I work in the health profession, particularly mental health, and have an interest in suicide prevention; so these topics will also be covered in this blog. Please, if you are suffering reach out. Our county health and crisis line is 1-855-278-4204.

Tuesday, August 19, 2014

**Book Review: Diabetes: Chicken Soup for the Soul: Healthy Living Series

This is a  book of many stories, interspersed with practical advise about diabetes from Dr, Byron Hoogwerf of the Cleveland Clinic.  Jack Canfield and Mark Victor Hansen edit the stories.   I think the most important thing I get from this book is motivation, and realization that diabetes is really a disease I need to worry about, and take care of.  I don't want to be dependent on pills forever.
The stories are repetitive, and tell the story of diabetes from several different angles.  As someone growing up with juvenile diabetes,and the parents or siblings of someone with juvenile diabetes.  
Also as being told as an adult that you have type II diabetes, and the consequences, life changes and what this means.  The doctor explains some of the things to be aware of in terms of taking care of you health when you have diabetes.
I enjoyed this book, but more than the practical information, I enjoyed the motivational stories presented.

No comments:

Post a Comment