Health Is Vital

Health is taken for granted, until you can't any more. In this blog I hope to put down on paper some of the articles I come across and want to remember, about health. I will be personalizing these articles to apply to me. I am diabetic, over weight, have high blood pressure and tinnitus, so these are the things you will find here. I will include nutrition, exercise, and holistic health, and many other ideas. I work in the health profession, particularly mental health, and have an interest in suicide prevention; so these topics will also be covered in this blog. Please, if you are suffering reach out. Our county health and crisis line is 1-855-278-4204.

Sunday, December 11, 2016

Self-Enhancing Ideas: Home Builders, Behavioral Science Institute

In another life I was trained in home builders model.  I used this model for family preservation when I was working for Utah State Social Services in Eastern Utah.  I was working mostly with members of the Uintah and Ouray Reservation.
The idea behind self-enhancing ideas is that they can counter negative self talk that we get ourselves into.  Her are some examples.

There's no evidence that one needs approval or love.  People have very few actual needs; the rest are wants.  Being fallible, one can't always be lovable.  You can't please all the people all the time.

I have already survived many unpleasant events.  Nothing is awful; things just ARE or ARE NOT and one adds the label awful, horrible, etc.

Worrying is a belief in magic; the evidence is that worrying will not protect me.  The more I "awfulize" and worry, the less able I am to reason; thus I reduce my chances of impacting the situation.

Avoiding short-term difficulty or pain is tempting, but may make things even harder for me in the long run.  I can stand difficulties and frustration; I just don't like them.  Meeting challenges is enormously satisfying and I don't was  to miss that satisfaction.

Nobody can be perfect, and we'd better learn to accept this reality.  If it's worth doing it's worth doing poorly; the best way to learn is to practice.  A person who fails is not a failure.

People can change even the strongest habits.

No comments:

Post a Comment