Health Is Vital

Health is taken for granted, until you can't any more. In this blog I hope to put down on paper some of the articles I come across and want to remember, about health. I will be personalizing these articles to apply to me. I am diabetic, over weight, have high blood pressure and tinnitus, so these are the things you will find here. I will include nutrition, exercise, and holistic health, and many other ideas. I work in the health profession, particularly mental health, and have an interest in suicide prevention; so these topics will also be covered in this blog. Please, if you are suffering reach out. Our county health and crisis line is 1-855-278-4204.

Sunday, December 24, 2017

Article Review: Protect Your Brain

I found this article of all places, the Scouting magazine, November-December 2017.  By protecting you brain they are talking of doing things to help slow or prevent brain and memory issues as you age.  We all forget things sometimes.  In this case however they are referring to more serious issues.  Keeping your brain in such as state that it can grow and "rewire" is important as we age.  Mental exercise,  good diet, on positive lifestyle will help in this effort.  This article gives nine suggestions.  I present them with my self-review in each area.
Loss some weight:  Having a lot of belly fat, may indicate inflammation of other cells, including brain cells.  Less waist means less degeneration of the brain.
I have been overweight, "grossly obese" most of my adult life.  However, this past month I have lost five pounds!   Ten more to go to reach my first goal.  However with that being said I weigh less now than I have since moving to Cupertino fifteen years ago. 
Feed your neurons: Neurons are fed with better blood flow.  It is important to control blood pressure as well as sugar levels to improve the flow of blood to your brain.  I good way to accomplish this is through cardiovascular activity; 15 to 10 minutes minimum daily.
As for my part, being a commuter, I do this easily when I go to work.  It is those days in between that I have problems.  I walk plenty when I play Pokemon.  However this is slow walking and I wonder if it has as much benefit.
Lower your blood pressure: High blood pressure effects the blood flow and nutrients getting to your brain.  This can be critical as you age.
My blood pressure is well controlled at this time with medication.
Order the salmon...: Eating fish that is high in Omega-3 fatty acids (salmon tuna and others) is important to brain health.  People who eat three servings of fatty fish weekly have 40 percent less chance of developing Alzheimer's.  Other foods high in Omega-3 are walnuts and flaxseed.
I could use more fish in my diet.  I have walnuts at work, but do not eat them as regularly as I should.  Fish is a rare treat for me.  Somehow it has to be a more regular part of my diet.
...With a Side of Spinach:  Green vegetables are the key, as they are high in Vitamin K.  Two servings per day leads to a cognitively younger mind.
I can't say I eat a lot of leafy green vegetables.  My lettuce is usually iceberg or Romaine.  I need to make some improvements here.
Go blueberry picking:  Blueberries contain an antioxidant important with brain power.
I don't care for blueberries.  Fortunately this article also mentions strawberries which I love.  I also love raspberries.
Do Puzzles: Doing puzzles might help reduce the chances of contracting Alzheimer's.  Especially crosswords and Sudoku.
I am not into crosswords, but I do play Sudoko on the train at times.  I also play Free Cell solitaire, but I don't know if that helps or not.
Be Like Popeye:  Love Olive, in this case olive oil.  Extra virgin olive oil contains anti-oxidants.  Four tablespoons a day recommended.
I usually use dairy butter; but a change may be in order.
Make friends: Many friends improves performance on cognitive test given to the elderly.  I do not think this is casual Facebook friends, but friends with whom you mingle and associate.  ( I am better with Facebook.)  The positive effects are more evident in the areas where knowledge, language and factual information are stored.
I need to get out more that is for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment