Health Is Vital

Health is taken for granted, until you can't any more. In this blog I hope to put down on paper some of the articles I come across and want to remember, about health. I will be personalizing these articles to apply to me. I am diabetic, over weight, have high blood pressure and tinnitus, so these are the things you will find here. I will include nutrition, exercise, and holistic health, and many other ideas. I work in the health profession, particularly mental health, and have an interest in suicide prevention; so these topics will also be covered in this blog. Please, if you are suffering reach out. Our county health and crisis line is 1-855-278-4204.

Thursday, June 19, 2014

**Diabetic Health: Where I Am At

This is my reaction and self report of an article from Everyday Health called "Seven 'Must Dos' to Improve You Diabetic Health."
It first indicates decisions with regards to eating healthy, being active, taking your medication, and maintaining a positive attitude are important.  In then gives seven ideas as to how to do this:
Say "Bye Bye" to Diets:  By this they are saying that portion control and switching a few foods for healthier foods should be all that is needed.  Too often we diet, and then gain back more than we lost.  I generally follow this principle, but have some issues with portion control.  However I have avoided for the most part any bounce back, and over the last several years my weight is down twenty pounds and stayed there.  I would like to loss some more however.  My next goal is 259.  I got there once and Now want to get there again and then break that barrier.
Get "the Skinny" on Fat:  They point out that diets too high in carbs are not really that great (especially diabetics,)  It is OK to eat healthy proteins and fats.
Shun "Made for Diabetics" Food: Special foods are usually not food for you.  Read an article on Facebook about artificial sweeteners that was scary.  Natural and whole grain foods are the best.
Know How to Prevent or Delay Diabetic Complications:  This is talking about self inspection of feet, wearing shoes, frequent foot and eye exams.  But most importantly it is talking about maintaining your blood sugar numbers.  My afternoon blood count is usually pretty good.  However my morning is not where it should be.
Find and Activity that Fits You  I enjoy basketball, but rarely play.  I also like to walk, when I have energy.  I stopped playing basketball when my shoulder hurt.  It is doing better so I need to get back into playing.
Keep Track of your Medicines and Supplies:  When I take my medicines correctly, my blood sugar numbers are better.  I usually do well, but sometimes forget p.m. pills especially on weekends.
Know that YOU are the most Important Member of your Medical Team:  I know this.  Diabetes clinic wanted to schedule with me and I never called back.  My goal is to follow through with this.

No comments:

Post a Comment