Health Is Vital

Health is taken for granted, until you can't any more. In this blog I hope to put down on paper some of the articles I come across and want to remember, about health. I will be personalizing these articles to apply to me. I am diabetic, over weight, have high blood pressure and tinnitus, so these are the things you will find here. I will include nutrition, exercise, and holistic health, and many other ideas. I work in the health profession, particularly mental health, and have an interest in suicide prevention; so these topics will also be covered in this blog. Please, if you are suffering reach out. Our county health and crisis line is 1-855-278-4204.

Saturday, July 9, 2016

Everyday Health: 8 Habits that Spell Disaster for Diabetes

So here we go, a list of items from Everyday Health and how I am doing with regards to the same.  These points are specifically directed to Type II Diabetes:
Eating Three Big Meals a Day:  I guess I have this half down.  I eat three big meals a day, and then I have snacks in between as well.  Maybe that is the worse.  Portion control is my key.  I love food, and tend to eat too much.  I am having challenges with my weight lately.
Skipping Breakfast: I don't skip breakfast.  However breakfast is usually cookie and fruit because it is is always rushed trying to catch the train.  I usually grab something to eat in the car on the way to the station.  People who eat a big breakfast, and a small dinner have better sugar numbers.
Sleeping Too Little--or too much:  I use CPAP, and my goal is 6.5 hours CPAP sleep per night.  I rarely get this much sleep.  I usually go to sleep at 11 and get up at 5, which is 6 hours.   This article suggest 6.5-7.4 hours per night as optimal for A1C levels.  I usually sleep some on the train to work, but I think for me CPAP sleep is the important measure.  Even on weekends I tend to sleep a little later, but also stay up later, evening things out.
Neglecting Your Dental Health:  A good mouth is good for everything.  Because diabetes effects your ability to fight bacteria, flossing regularly is even more important.  Before going to the dentist this last time it had been about three years since I had been.  Not a good idea.  Also my flossing skills need to improve.  I floss when I get stuff stuck in my teeth, like popcorn or meat.  However I have a new sonic tooth brush and I am pretty regular with that.  However the dental people said that did not excuse me from flossing.
Not Appreciating the Role of Stress:  Stress starts a hormonal reaction that makes it harder to control blood sugar.  I noticed this when I burnt myself.  My blood sugar levels were out of control.  They are doing better now however.  I good do better with stress reducing habits, meditation, prayer and scripture reading.
Ignoring Depression:  Being a mental health worker you would think I would have an eye on this one.  I do not think I have depression at this time.  However increased exercise (calisthenics) may be in order to fight depression.
Striving for Perfection:  Healthy lifestyle may include giving up the quest for perfection.  This article says maybe we over-test for blood sugar, which can lead to obsessing over our blood sugar number.  For my part, I try to test when the result will be low, about three hours or more after having eaten.
Putting Off Health Care Appointments:  Speaking of which, I need to get ahold of the diabetes clinic as I am overdue for foot examination.  I have my PCP pretty much in line now after going through a couple changes recently as my doctor changed clinics and I didn't want to change.  Then I had another doctor I only saw once before she left as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment