|Please be mindful of the season and take care.|
On Monday, June 27th, SCVMC teamed up with officials from the Santa Clara Fire and Sheriff's Department and the San Jose Fire and Police Departments to improve public awareness about the danger of illegal fireworks. Our own Jill Sproul , RN, Nurse Manger of our Burn Center joined other County leaders at this Community event held at Vasona Park in Los Gatos. Jill provided the following advice to members of the Santa Clara Community:
- "The staff at the Burn Center at Santa Clara Valley Medical Center have been treating pediatric and adult burn patients for the past 46 years. Every 4th of July season we treat several patients with burn and blast injuries as the result of illegal fireworks.
- Despite our prevention efforts few people understand the associated risks, lifelong effects and devastating disability that occurs after a burn injury.
- In addition to life threatening injuries, years of rehabilitation, burn injuries can cause disfigurement and loss of function.
- After working in Burn care for 26 years I can tell you people do not think it will happen to them.
- As a burn survivor myself from a gasoline explosion I sustained as a child- I am here to tell you burns do not discriminate and it can happen to you.
- According to the National Fire Protection Agency, Emergency rooms across the country will treat thousands of people over the next few weeks due to fireworks related injuries.
- This time of year we also see an increase in camp fire related injuries, BBQ accidents and burns sustained from covering hot coals at the beach.
- Our goal this year at the Burn Center is to have no fireworks related burn injuries, as EVEN ONE is too many.
- We ask that you help us in preventing burn injuries by not participating in the use of illegal fireworks. Our hope is that you and your families have a safe and injury free Fourth of July Holiday!