Health Is Vital

Health is taken for granted, until you can't any more. In this blog I hope to put down on paper some of the articles I come across and want to remember, about health. I will be personalizing these articles to apply to me. I am diabetic, over weight, have high blood pressure and tinnitus, so these are the things you will find here. I will include nutrition, exercise, and holistic health, and many other ideas. I work in the health profession, particularly mental health, and have an interest in suicide prevention; so these topics will also be covered in this blog. Please, if you are suffering reach out. Our county health and crisis line is 1-855-278-4204.

Sunday, September 20, 2015

**Take Control of Your Health: and Reduce your Cancer Risk

This is a pamphlet which was put out by the American Cancer Society.  I have never felt my family had much risk for cancer, as my grandparents all succumbed to heart related issues.  However, in the past couple months two of my close relatives have been diagnosed with, and treated for cancer, my sister with esophageal cancer and my nephew with thyroid cancer.  I guess I can no longer live in LaLa land.  This pamphlet suggests eight things to reduce risk of cancer:
1. Stay away from tobacco.  I have no problem there other than avoiding people who are smosking on the train platform where there is a no smoking rule.
2. Maintain a healthy weight.  My healthy weight is 100 pounds lower than I am now, but I am working for a loss of 65 pounds.
3. Get moving.  I walk considerable, but obviously not enough.  I need to add cardio and strength.
4. Eat healthy.  Here they are suggesting high fiber and avoiding processed foods.  I am fair to poor in this category.  We do eat whole grain bread which is good, but also we eat process meats and such.
5. Limit how much alcohol you drink.  I don't drink.
6. Protect your skin.  I usually wear sun screen and a t-shirt at the beech. I also wear a t-shirt when I swim.  I also like to keep to the shape whenever possible.  Manteca has a great deal of sun.  However I could do better so an average grade here.
7. Know yourself and your risks.  In some ways who I am is OK, but in others not.  I now know there must be some genetic risk.  However some of my health habits are good, walking, no tobacco and no alcohol.  Some are wanting, too much weight, too much processed food, not enough exercise.
8. Have regular checkups.  I am do for an MD appointment.

No comments:

Post a Comment