Health Is Vital

Health is taken for granted, until you can't any more. In this blog I hope to put down on paper some of the articles I come across and want to remember, about health. I will be personalizing these articles to apply to me. I am diabetic, over weight, have high blood pressure and tinnitus, so these are the things you will find here. I will include nutrition, exercise, and holistic health, and many other ideas. I work in the health profession, particularly mental health, and have an interest in suicide prevention; so these topics will also be covered in this blog. Please, if you are suffering reach out. Our county health and crisis line is 1-855-278-4204.

Wednesday, May 21, 2014

**Diabetes, Foot Care and Flip Flops


http://www.everydayhealth.com/foot-health/flip-flops-the-most-dangerous-shoes-you-can-wear.aspx?pos=1&xid=nl_EverydayHealthHealthyLiving_20130824
Flip Flops the Most Dangerous Footwear
I thought this movie was going to talk about the danger of sores, but is just talking about flip flops in general, and the pressure they can put on your feet, which results in foot injury.  Flip flops should be worn only sporadically.  Flip flops do not give protection, and the are vulnerable to pokes; however the also cause people to walk differently, curling up their toes as they walk.
Being diabetic I have heard many times that I need to watch out for my feet. Diabetes causes neuropathy.  This means nerve damage, which can make it so you do not feel pain from a blister, or sore.  The other problem caused by diabetes is a lack of blood flow to your feet, called peripheral vascular disease.  This makes it harder for your feet to heal.  Another issue, if your blood glucose is high, this cause your sores or wounds to become infected more quickly.  
I have gotten the message I should be doing a couple of things to care for my feet.  I must admit, I am far from perfect in this regard.  The first is to always wear something on my feet, whether shoes or slippers.  Someone with diabetes wants to protect their feet.The second thing to do is to regularly check your feet.  I generally check mine as I dry in the morning.  However I am also rushed, so probably could be doing a better job.
  The bottom line is care for you feet is important for someone with diabetes.
http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/complications_feet/#hurtfeet

2 comments:

  1. Joanne Beckerman Derrenbacher Uggggg.... my flip flops just got unpacked for the Spring/Summer. I LIVE in them. Wearing shoes/sneakers actually hurt my feet. I am always excited to wear my flips. However, every single day I use a pumice & TONS of lotion on my feet to keep from getting callous. These articles scare me though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah Clayton Love my ortho heel flip I buy from QVC, very expensive (IMO) but so much comfortable support. Other shoes also hurt my feet.

    ReplyDelete