Health Is Vital

Health is taken for granted, until you can't any more. In this blog I hope to put down on paper some of the articles I come across and want to remember, about health. I will be personalizing these articles to apply to me. I am diabetic, over weight, have high blood pressure and tinnitus, so these are the things you will find here. I will include nutrition, exercise, and holistic health, and many other ideas. I work in the health profession, particularly mental health, and have an interest in suicide prevention; so these topics will also be covered in this blog. Please, if you are suffering reach out. Our county health and crisis line is 1-855-278-4204.

Saturday, May 24, 2014

Ten Fitness Tips from Everyday Health; and My Thoughts

http://www.everydayhealth.com/diet-fitness-pictures/10-everyday-tips-for-diet-and-fitness.aspx?pos=1&xid=nl_EverydayHealthManagingDiabetes_20140524#/slide-1
Ten ideas for fitness (I am not very fit but would like to be) from Everyday Health:
1) Exercise at the right time of day for you.  I am not sure when that would be.  One thing I noticed just Friday.  When I walk to the light rail station after work (about a mile) rather than take the bus, my blood sugar is 20 points lower in the evening.  However other than that, It is hard to squeeze in exercise.  However, I should take an after dinner walk.  Two times around the park would be about another mile, and maybe that would put me over the top.
2) Develop a fitness plan.  This section suggests someone at a gym, or a personal trainer.  However, I have never done that.  The key here is knowing your aim, your goal for fitness.  I have my very clearly in my mind, to get below 200 lbs.  However, the steps are lacking.
3) Find a favorite exercise.  My favorite is basketball.  However I have not played much since developing locked shoulder.  However it is probably time to take it up again.  The issue, just shooting does not make you work very hard.
4) Vary your exercise.  It suggests aerobic one day, then weight training then Pilates or Yoga, and then a day off.  I could handle that, with slow walking daily, but more two days a week maybe.  However I need to find some method of strength training.  Instead of Yoga or Pilates, I could do stretching.  My mobility is so poor I need to do something.
5) Exercise with a friend.  Miranda walked with me a couple times, but maybe she coul be a walking partner again.
6) Enjoy east snacks.  By this they want you to avoid processed snacks, but fruit, nuts, yogurt or turkey are recommended items I like. 
7) Factor in fluids.  Especially water.  Avoid caffeine.  Watered down Gatorade is OK if you need to replace electrolytes.
8) Skip the soda.  Soda is bad.  Bad for you teeth, your bones, your insides and your out.  Even diet soda is bad.  I have a root beer occasionally, but don't usually drink soda. 
9) Cook more than you eat.  Having leftovers the next day will help avoid fast food, to come home to something you can just pop in the micro wave but is nutritious and delicious.
10) Get active after eating.  A light workout is recommended.  Since I ate late, this goes in with the walking around the park.

No comments:

Post a Comment