Health Is Vital

Health is taken for granted, until you can't any more. In this blog I hope to put down on paper some of the articles I come across and want to remember, about health. I will be personalizing these articles to apply to me. I am diabetic, over weight, have high blood pressure and tinnitus, so these are the things you will find here. I will include nutrition, exercise, and holistic health, and many other ideas. I work in the health profession, particularly mental health, and have an interest in suicide prevention; so these topics will also be covered in this blog. Please, if you are suffering reach out. Our county health and crisis line is 1-855-278-4204.

Tuesday, May 13, 2014

**Stress and Diabetes

I came across an article about stress and diabetes from everyday health.
http://www.everydayhealth.com/health-report/type-2-diabetes-lifestyle/stress-management-helps-type-2-diabetes.aspx?pos=2&xid=nl_EverydayHealthManagingDiabetes_20130702
It says that if we stress too much, it can raise the blood sugar of someone with diabetes.  This is because the reaction of our body to stress is to release sugar into the blood stream in preparation for a flight or fight response.  For someone who processes sugar normally, this is good, however for someone with diabetes like myself it can lead to increased sugar levels.
I wonder if this contributes to my high blood sugars at times.  I can go very well with my sugar numbers, especially if I have set routine, like on regular work days.  However when I am not at work, weekends and vacations, my numbers  rise.  There is something to be said for routine.
Another contributing factor to increased sugar from stress is forgetting to take your blood sugars, medications or eating sensibly.  I don't know if it is stress, but this describes me on the weekends when I am away from routine. 
These ideas are presented as ways to combat stress:
  • Exercise more. Increasing the amount of exercise you get is a great way to burn off stress. Exercise can also help you reach or maintain a healthy weight and control your blood sugar. "If you can, you might want to bump up your exercise to about 60 minutes a day," Garcia-Banigan advises.
  • Eat well. Maintaining good nutrition when you’re stressed helps control blood sugar levels. "You need to make sure to get the right nutrition so you have the energy to deal with stress," Garcia-Banigan says.
  • Improve your coping style. Try replacing negative thoughts with positive thoughts, reducing the stress triggers you can, and being good to yourself. "Learn to manage your time well and make yourself a priority," Garcia-Banigan says.
  • Learn stress reduction techniques. Breathing exercises, meditation, and progressive relaxation are all techniques that people have found to be helpful for stress management. Practice stress-relieving activities that work for you.
  • Get support. Having a chronic condition like type 2 diabetes is stressful in itself. Talk to friends and loved ones about your feelings. Ask your diabetes caregivers about stress management assistance, and consider joining a diabetes support group where you can share feelings, ideas, and advice. 
In my case, the first two suggestions are very important.  I do not  as well one weekend.  There is food around all do, and I grouse with the luxury of being able to do so.  The second issue is exercise.  I do not.  I sit on my butt and don't do much of anything, while weekdays I walk to get to work, and get my exercise in that way.  I should be engaged in positive activity on the weekend, but usually I am not.
Of the other ideas, using meditation and relaxation techniques sounds appealing.  Prayer is a great relaxation tool, with the added benefit of communicating with He who gives life.
This article is beneficial to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment