Health Is Vital

Health is taken for granted, until you can't any more. In this blog I hope to put down on paper some of the articles I come across and want to remember, about health. I will be personalizing these articles to apply to me. I am diabetic, over weight, have high blood pressure and tinnitus, so these are the things you will find here. I will include nutrition, exercise, and holistic health, and many other ideas. I work in the health profession, particularly mental health, and have an interest in suicide prevention; so these topics will also be covered in this blog. Please, if you are suffering reach out. Our county health and crisis line is 1-855-278-4204.

Saturday, May 31, 2014

**Walking for Health and Diabetes Control

http://www.everydayhealth.com/diabetes/regular-walking-protects-against-heart-disease.aspx?pos=1&xid=nl_EverydayHealthManagingDiabetes_20131110
I have gone through periods of being a big walker, to periods of just walking enough to get by, to the bus stop, to the train station, but never more than necessary.  This article talks about the benefits of walking.  Even a little bit of walking can go a long way.  And for someone with diabetes as myself, every health advantage I can get is needed.  In fact, I have been told that if a can bring my weight down, I might be able to lose some of my pills.  I do pretty well controlling my diabetes with pills, but wouldn't it be better to control it with diet and exercise.  Now I take eight pills in the morning, and another four at night.  That is twelve daily.  Wouldn't it be nice to lose a few of those pills.
The first thing it says is to set a small goal.  Walking and extra 10 to 20 minutes two or three days a week is a place to start.  From there a gradual increase in the goal would make for even more benefit.  It also talks about having a partner.  This I don't have, but it is possible to achieve with checking in, and I can use this blog as a place to report, which will be like a partner.  This week I walked twenty minutes on day, and another five minutes another.  I am going to count tomorrow as part of the week, so another 10-20 minute walk and I will have week one.  My first goals is to walk 20 minutes three day a week.  That is the goal for next week.
Just another side note.  I heard of a man who weighted 440, and lost half his weight to 220.  One of the things he did was walk three miles a day.  Walking really does help.  I know the days when I walk, my blood sugar is lower.

No comments:

Post a Comment