Health Is Vital

Health is taken for granted, until you can't any more. In this blog I hope to put down on paper some of the articles I come across and want to remember, about health. I will be personalizing these articles to apply to me. I am diabetic, over weight, have high blood pressure and tinnitus, so these are the things you will find here. I will include nutrition, exercise, and holistic health, and many other ideas. I work in the health profession, particularly mental health, and have an interest in suicide prevention; so these topics will also be covered in this blog. Please, if you are suffering reach out. Our county health and crisis line is 1-855-278-4204.

Sunday, May 11, 2014

**Sleep and Nutrition from Everyday Health

http://www.everydayhealth.com/sleep/0211/poor-nutrition-can-bite-into-your-sleep.aspx?pos=1&xid=nl_EverydayHealthDietandNutrition_20140511
This is a link which includes a couple videos, as well as an article on sleep; particularly as it relates to nutrition.
Step 1: Eat no less than 4 hours before going to bed; especially food high in carbohydrates.
Step 2: High protein food late in the day because they contain something that helps you sleep.
Step 3: Include dairy, chick peas nuts, broccoli a few hours  before bed.
Tip: Avoid alcohol and caffeine before going to bed, or entirely as these can interfere with sleep.
Step 4: Salads with fruit, such as apples and pears, which calm the digestive system.
Step 5: Eat comfort foods, like chicken noodle soup, which calm you mind and make you feel good.
Tip: Keep your weight down.
Step 6: Chamomile tea with ginger calms the digestive system.  Warm milk can also serve in this function.
The tip on keeping my weight down would be good for me.  My weight I am sure contributes to sleep apnea.  By losing some weight I maybe could get rid of my CPAP machine.  I never use caffeine, or alcohol.  I do eat too late in the day, but have started taking my evening meal to eat on the train.  The days I remember, it seems to help. 

No comments:

Post a Comment