Health Is Vital

Health is taken for granted, until you can't any more. In this blog I hope to put down on paper some of the articles I come across and want to remember, about health. I will be personalizing these articles to apply to me. I am diabetic, over weight, have high blood pressure and tinnitus, so these are the things you will find here. I will include nutrition, exercise, and holistic health, and many other ideas. I work in the health profession, particularly mental health, and have an interest in suicide prevention; so these topics will also be covered in this blog. Please, if you are suffering reach out. Our county health and crisis line is 1-855-278-4204.

Friday, May 23, 2014

**Jeffrey R. Holland Speaks of Compassion and Mental Illness


Jeffrey R. Holland's talk from conference Saturday on mental illness and suicide is classic.  To me it justifies my career selection.  It had me in tears.
http://bcove.me/z72c8hkc
Elder Holland talks about the stigma, and points out there should be no shame in these illnesses, just as there should be no shame for diabetes or other illnesses.
His advice for one we ourselves or loved ones have problems:  Never loss faith in your Father in Heaven.  Quoting President Monson, "God's love is there whether or not you deserve it."  Follow time-tested devotionals in your life, seek priesthood counseling, ask for and cherish priesthood blessings, take the sacrament every week, believe in miracles, watch for the stress indicators in yourself and in others you may be able to help, get medical care, don't assume you can fix everything but fix what you can and finally be patient.
He concludes with the emotional play, "Whatever ever your struggles, do not vote against the preciousness of life by ending it.  Trust in God, hold on in his love.  Know that one day the dawn will break brightly."  Then he says while God works making repairs, "the rest of us can help by being merciful, nonjudgmental and kind."
I encourage you to listen to his remarks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment